A Travellerspoint blog

Last min. Fixes

So, the night before we were to leave on our trip, I kinda tripped and fell over backwards and broke my wrist. I was actually skating around my mom's neighborhood with 2 of my sisters and Joe. We were heading back home down a long windy street that is all down hill when Brittany and I noticed that we had lost Joe and Jessica. Brittany turned around on her bicycle after I spun around on my inline skates to look up the hill for them. Then I saw Joe start to come around the corner and I hit a pothole. I tried to catch myself I guess, and ended up on the ground cradling my arm. Brittany came over to ask me if I was ok, but then she let out a little grumble when she saw the offset of my wrist. Joe quickly caught up to us and helped me to my feet as Brittany accepted a cell phone from a couple walking their dog. My mom wasn't answering, and so I took the iniciative to start skating home again.

I was only 2 streets away, and when I got there someone had already beaten Joe and I home and informed my mom about what happened. Jessica ended up driving me to Southwest General's ER where they took x-rays and quite a long time with the vicodin. Eventually they told me that I broke my wrist and would have to come back and get a cast. They sent me home that night with just a splint wrapped with an ace bandage and a prescription for percocet. That was Monday night. I called Kaiser on the way home, and after some hoops I met with an orthopedic Dr. on Thursday at Metro Health that said I needed surgery. I ended up getting 3 rather long pins in my arm Friday afternoon after waiting almost 4 hours due to complications with the previous patient.

We hoped to leave this week, but now I have to get these pins removed before getting the full cast. I also need to be off percocet before I ride on the back of the motorcycle. Today is my first trial of that, and I have to say that it is nice to be off drugs for the first time in almost a week. On a better note, this gave Joe time to rig up a rack on the back of the bike for our sleeping bag, backpack and laptop. The plan now is to call my Dr. and ask if the pins can be removed by another facility down the road. If not, then its two more weeks of waiting, and I don't think that would be healthy for either of us.


Posted by - Rain 12:55 Archived in USA Tagged preparation

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Boo post already!...jk...I do want to see pictures of it all packed with gear and the both of you...I also want to see your tent and set up...I think you should record how you set up in the beginning and time...and then a few months later...anyways...hope your first day went well and that you have great weather! Corey and John

by CoreyAnn

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.